Each week throughout 2020, parishioners in the Diocese of Parramatta were invited to watch a video and discuss their response to a number of questions as part of our popular ‘Saturday Sessions’.
Over the holiday break, we’re replaying some of the most popular videos for you to watch, then use the questions to uncover your own feelings and thoughts about the topic. Feel free to share with others too!
“Welcome the stranger” – Patrice Moriarty, Social Justice Coordinator with Hava, Sabeen, Miriam and Georgia from Sydney Alliance and House of Welcome
About the Presenter:
Patrice Moriarty, Social Justice Coordinator, Diocese of Parramatta, with Hava, Sabeen, Miriam and Georgia from Sydney Alliance and House of Welcome share their experience of first-hand the experience and stories of refugees and people seeking asylum in the Diocese of Parramatta.
Look into why welcome is so important in the practice of our faith and how COVID-19 and its economic impact have affected asylum seekers and refugees and what we can do to welcome and help out.
Questions to Ponder:
- What was your response to what you heard?
- Think of a time you were made to feel welcome. What in particular made you feel welcome? What did you feel in that moment?
- “The unconditional love of God” – what does that look like?
- Patrice says that helping people, especially people seeking refuge, is not an option and is scattered throughout scripture. How do you respond? Patrice asks, “Do my actions meet this call?”
- Hava shares her story about living in Afghanistan and then coming to Australia. What significant points stood out to you about Hava’s story?
- The House of Welcome provides a safe and welcoming space for people seeking asylum and refugees living in the community. What impacted you about the work and stories from the team at the House of Welcome?
- What are the ways you already ‘Welcome the Stranger’ personally or as a community?
- What has challenged you about what was shared?
- What difference, if any, has this presentation made to the way you will move forward in welcoming the stranger?
Get ready for the 2021 series of Saturday Sessions. The schedule is available on our events calendar on www.parracatholic.org.