Youth & Networking Coordinator (12-month contract) – Columban Centre for Christian-Muslim Relations
POSITION: Youth & Networking Coordinator – 12 Month Contract
LOCATION: Columban Centre for Christian-Muslim Relations, 1-5 Marion Street, Blacktown NSW 2148
AWARD: Award Free
REPORTS TO: Director, Columban Centre for Christian-Muslim Relations
STARTING DATE: The formal starting date is late August 2021 (or as near as possible).
To promote the Centre’s activities in Christian-Muslim and interreligious relations in general by developing contacts and networks, especially among youth.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent the Columban Centre for Christian-Muslim Relations in various community forums.
- Plan and coordinate Youth PoWR (Parliament of the World’s Religions) and assist in the Centre’s other interfaith and multi-faith events.
- Maintain and develop the Centre’s social media profile through regular posts to the Centre’s Facebook pages and promoting the Centre’s events in various media.
- Grow relations with Muslims and believers from other religions, especially youth, by attending religious, cultural, social and academic events and by developing new opportunities to promote dialogue and mutual understanding.
- Develop and present talks and workshops on Christian-Muslim and interfaith relations for schools, youth and other community organisations.
- Develop creative ways of promoting the Centre’s Christian-Muslim and interfaith resources and assist in developing new resources.
- Participate as an active team member in the life and work of the Centre by:
- engaging in planning, discussions and meetings
- contributing to Bridges newsletter
- showing responsibility, initiative and leadership in carrying out assigned tasks
- assisting in administrative tasks – reception, minutes, invoicing, filing, databases – to ensure the smooth running of the Centre.
- Undertake other duties as required by the Centre.
- Previous experience in community relations e.g. active participation in church life, youth ministry, pastoral work, multicultural or interfaith relations or social work.
- Some basic familiarity with Islam and Muslims and a willingness to develop that further through personal engagement with Muslims, participating in Muslim and interfaith events, and guided reading.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and organisation skills, initiative, and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated competency in social media e.g. Canva for creating content; Facebook, Instagram posts; MailChimp for e-campaigns; advising on new emerging platforms.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated administrative and secretarial skills.
- Current driver’s license and independent transport to attend day and evening events across metropolitan Sydney (per kilometre allowance available).
- Hold a current ‘Working with Children’ clearance (or willing and eligible to obtain).
- An understanding of and commitment to the Catholic Church and its values and ethos and a willingness to work within the spirit and vision of St Columban’s Mission Society.
- Previous experience working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline.
- Basic skills in or a willingness to learn elementary graphic design and video editing for posting on social media.
- Previous experience in organising events and projects.
Join our team!
Applicants are to provide the following two (2) documents to the Director of the Columban Centre for Christian-Muslim Relations:
- A letter addressing each of the ten (10) essential criteria listed above, detailing how your educational qualifications and previous work experience meet these essential criteria and enable you to carry out the responsibilities identified in this Position Description.
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV) of your educational qualifications and previous work experience.
If you are interviewed, you will be required to provide details of three (3) referees with contact details.
Please submit both documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close 11.59pm on Sunday, 1 August. 2021.