Parish Secretary – St Mary of the Cross MacKillop Parish, Upper Blue Mountains and Sacred Heart Parish, Blackheath
Position title: Parish Secretary
Reports to: Parish Priest (Fr John McSweeney is Parish Priest for both Parishes)
Hours and Days per week: 20 hours (15 hours at Katoomba and 5 hours at Blackheath, over 4 day period each week)
Locations: St Canice’s Church, Katoomba and Sacred Heart Parish, Blackheath
The primary objective of the role of Parish Secretary is to provide administrative services to the Parish (in this case, the two Parishes of Upper Blue Mountains and Sacred Heart). The role requires compassion, discretion, complete confidentiality, a “can do” attitude and a willingness to work autonomously. It requires a person who understands the nature of the front line responsibility for “Sharing God’s Love”. This position does require an understanding and support of the ethos of the Catholic Church.
- Answering all enquiries at door and on the phone
- Maintenance of various parish databases, and records, including baptismal and wedding records, parish websites.
- Baptism bookings, confirmation letter of details, preparing list of names for Baptism preparation, and producing the Baptism Certificate
- Management of diaries and parish registers
- Assistance with Planned Giving Programs – Parramatta Catholic Foundation and other Diocesan appeals
- Preparation and distribution of weekly Bulletins
- Dealing with Funeral Directors
- Preparation for the celebrations of Easter and Christmas in conjunction with the Parish Priest
- Take initial bookings for weddings and assist Parish Priest as required
- When required, organise the maintenance of parish equipment
- Management and distribution of liturgical ministry rosters
- Keep the parish census up to date
- Supporting the parish SRE Coordinators in office matters
- Ordering office and church supplies
- Parish Hall bookings
- Cleaning and maintenance of parish offices
- Carrying out the bookkeeping functions for the Upper Blue Mountains parish
- Other duties as required
Skills & Experience
- Must be competent in use of the Microsoft Office suite of programs e.g. Word, Excel and Outlook and in use of MYOB.
- Able to work well as part of a team
- Must have experience in an office environment
- Able to work autonomously, be accurate, and process work in a timely fashion
Other relevant requirements
- Working with Children Check and Police Check
- Drivers Licence
Join our team!
Applications must include a cover letter, resume and names and contact details of at least two referees, one of whom includes your parish priest.
Please send your application to John.McSweeney@parracatholic.org with the subject title: PARISH SECRETARY APPLICATION. Applications close Friday 12 Feburary 2021.