Accountant (General) / Analyst – Diocese of Parramatta
About the Diocese
The Diocese of Parramatta is home to more than 330,000 Catholics and is one of the fastest-growing dioceses in Australia. The Diocese is made up of 46 parishes, 80 Catholic schools, and more than 43,000 students and includes a number of agencies which assist the Bishop in the pastoral care of the community.
Are you seeking to combine your accounting experience with your analyst skills and contribute to the mission of the Catholic Church in the Diocese of Parramatta? Then this Accountant (General) / Analyst role is made for you!
About the Role
The Accountant (General) / Analyst is responsible for assisting the Finance Manager in managing the finances of the Diocese of Parramatta and other agencies that fall under the auspices of the Diocese. The key aim is to ensure that all accounting functions that lead into maintaining the accounts of the Diocese are undertaken in a thorough and professional manner, consistent with all relevant legislation and Diocesan policies. The Accountant (General) / Analyst is also responsible for producing high-level management reports, analytics and coordinating the parish audits.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Oversight of accounts receivable, accounts payable, and bank reconciliation statements.
- Preparation of monthly, annual and long term management reports for the Diocese of Parramatta.
- Financial modelling, analysis and investigations of various special projects.
- Assisting in the preparation and lodging of returns including income tax, FBT, BAS, PAYG, SG (Superannuation Guarantee) contributions and ACNC Annual Information Statements.
- Supporting the maintenance of the payroll system and salary packaging arrangements for Chancery and Agency staff paid from the Chancery.
- Working alongside the Finance Manager and Parish Finance Manager, provision of accounting, taxation and administrative advice to parishes and agencies of the Diocese.
- Oversight of insurance, legal and property matters.
- Liaising and supporting Diocesan Agencies in their accounting and financial needs and submitting financial budgets to the Chancery.
- Facilitating and actively participating in external audits and work with auditors to complete the audits in a timely manner.
- Ensuring compliance with statutory reporting obligations.
- Conducting of ad hoc and scheduled independent audits of parishes, agencies and ministries.
- Compiling the essential reports including and not limited to Parish Audit presentations, Consolidated Financial Snapshot and similar reports that are required from time to time.
- Liaising with Risk and Audit team to ensure that matters that come to light are reported and actioned within the risk appetite and framework of the Diocese.
- Updating the Risk management system (Triline GRC) with all known risks and mitigating actions that are required to combat the risk.
To be successful in this role you will bring the following qualities and technical experience:
- Tertiary qualifications in accounting, commerce or finance-related fields.
- Chartered Accountant or CPA with current membership to the relevant professional association.
- Employment screening including a Working With Children Check to the satisfaction of the Chancery.
- A demonstrated commitment to the ethos and values of the Catholic Church.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience as CPA or Chartered Accountant in a medium to large size accounting firm.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in financial management reporting.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience analytical and financial modelling experience, preferably within a faith-based environment.
- Understanding of and ability to apply current AASB Accounting Standards.
- Ability to manage the provision of finance functions.
- High-level skills in financial analysis and modelling.
- Ability to analyse data, identify trends and apply remedial strategies to prevent or correct adverse trends.
- Ability to ensure that appropriate systems and internal controls are implemented and maintained.
- Ability to manage and provide oversight of a financial services team.
- High-level knowledge and skills in the use of contemporary accounting applications.
- High-level knowledge and skills in using an ERP platform preferably Microsoft D365 – Finance & Operations.
- Ability to work within a defined budget.
- A demonstrated commitment to client services and to be accountable for staff performance.
- Demonstrated experience in working in a diverse and highly complex environment.
- A demonstrated focus on outcomes and emphasis on exceeding stakeholder expectations.
- Ability to interact effectively with multiple and diverse stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work under direction, to think creatively and laterally, to problem solve.
- Substantial time management and organisational skills with the ability to work to tight deadlines and deliver under pressure.
Join our team!
Applications for the position should include:
- A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role and describe how your skills, experience and capabilities align to the criteria in relation to undertaking this role.
- Curriculum Vitae.
If you would like more information, a copy of the full job description or to have a confidential chat, please email Ms Deeanne Martin on firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close 10pm Sunday 26 September 2021.
The successful applicant is expected to respect and uphold the ethos and teachings of the Catholic Church and the values of the Employer. The successful applicant will also be subject to a Working with Children Check.
Salary range will be between $60,001 and $80,000 p.a.
All suitably qualified and experienced candidates will be considered. Diocese of Parramatta will also consider sponsoring applicants for up to 3 years under the Temporary Skill Shortage 482 Visa Sponsor Program.
No agency contact please. This position is being managed internally.