Accounts Officer – Diocese of Parramatta
About the Diocese
The Diocese of Parramatta is home to more than 330,000 Catholics and is one of the fastest-growing dioceses in Australia. The Diocese is made up of 46 parishes, 80 Catholic schools, and more than 43,000 students and includes a number of agencies which assist the Bishop in the pastoral care of the community.
Are you seeking to combine your accounting experience with your calling to contribute to the mission of the Catholic Church in the Diocese of Parramatta? Then this Accounts Officer position is made for you!
About the Role
The Accounts Officer is responsible for assisting the Finance Manager in managing the finances of the Diocese of Parramatta and other agencies that fall under the auspices of the Diocese. A key aim is to ensure that all accounting functions that lead into maintaining the books of accounts of the Diocese are undertaken in a thorough and professional manner, consistent with all relevant legislation and Diocesan policies.
The Accounts Officer position operates in a shared services environment and is responsible for accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank reconciliation, supporting parishes and adhoc project works.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Accounts receivable, accounts payable, and bank reconciliation statements.
- Assisting in the preparation of month-end reports.
- Support in maintenance of the motor vehicle and clergy car scheme.
- Conducting parish audits and assisting in external audits.
- Assisting in the provision of accounting, taxation and administrative support to Diocese, Parishes and certain agencies of the Diocese.
- Accounting works for the Cathedral, Board of Management and Clergy Support Foundation.
- Liaising and supporting Diocesan Agencies in their accounting and financial needs.
- Maintaining a current knowledge of the regulatory environment in which the Diocese operates.
- Ensuring compliance with statutory reporting obligations.
- Assist in providing MYOB support for agencies, ministries and parishes where required.
To be successful in this role you will bring the following qualities and technical experience:
- Tertiary qualifications in accounting, commerce or finance-related fields.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience as Accounts Assistant in a medium to large size accounting firm.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in accounts receivable, accounts payable & bank reconciliation.
- A demonstrated commitment to the ethos and values of the Catholic Church.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of and ability to apply current AASB Accounting Standards.
- Knowledge and skills in the use of contemporary accounting applications.
- Knowledge and skills in using an ERP platform preferably Microsoft D365 – Finance & Operations.
- Knowledge and skills in Microsoft Office applications (proficiency in MS Excel preferred).
- Ability to ensure that appropriate systems and internal controls are implemented and maintained.
- A demonstrated commitment to client services.
- Demonstrated experience in working in a diverse and highly complex environment.
- Ability to interact effectively with multiple and diverse stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work under direction, to think creatively and laterally, to problem solve and
- Substantial time management and organisational skills with the ability to work to tight deadlines and deliver under pressure.
Join our team!
Applications for the position should include:
- A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the position and explain how your skills, experience and capabilities align to the criteria in relation to undertaking this role.
- Curriculum Vitae.
If you would like more information, a copy of the full job description or to have a confidential chat, please email Ms. Deeanne Martin on firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close 10pm Sunday 21 August 2022.
The successful applicant is expected to respect and uphold the ethos and teachings of the Catholic Church and the values of the Employer. The successful applicant will also be subject to a Working with Children Check.
Only candidates with the right to live and work in Australia should apply for this position.
No agency contact please. This position is being managed internally.