Social Justice Coordinator – Diocese of Parramatta
The Diocese of Parramatta is home to more than 330,000 Catholics and is one of the fastest-growing dioceses in Australia. The Diocese is made up of 47 parishes, 82 Catholic schools, and more than 43,000 students and includes a number of agencies which assist the Bishop in the pastoral care of the community.
The Social Justice Office mission is to be light and salt for the world. It requires us to work for justice. It is the role of the Social Justice Office to identify, reflect on and respond to issues which affect society. The office disseminates information and possibilities for action to local parishes and liaises with other welfare and social justice organisations.
About the Role
The Diocese is seeking a full-time Social Justice Coordinator.
The Social Justice Coordinator is responsible for raising awareness of major political, social and environmental challenges, in accordance with the principles of Catholic Social Teaching, within the Diocese of Parramatta.
Reporting to the Chancellor for Ministries, you will be responsible for:
- supporting and resourcing Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation activities and initiatives in the Diocese of Parramatta by providing parishes and organisations with formation and strategies to further the achievement of social justice goals;
- providing information, formation and strategies for action to parishes, parish social justice groups and other organisations in the Diocese in relation to issues of Justice, Peace and the Integrity of Creation;
- responding to the social issues of the day through research, writing, education, action and collaboration with other like-minded organisations;
- co-ordinating the launch event for the annual ACBC Social Justice Statement and animating the parish and school implementation of the annual statement;
- disseminating information according to the Social Justice Calendar i.e. Migrant and Refugee Sunday, and animating responses to same;
- advocating on behalf of the service agencies of the Diocese around issues of concern to them and to the Diocese;
- participating as a member of a range of related Boards and Committees and collaborating with Diocesan reference and steering groups;
- networking with Caritas regional and national community engagement team to support implementing Caritas programs and information systems;
- support and assist Caritas with the coordination of Project Compassion within the Diocese;
- managing the electronic mailout of Monthly Social Justice Newsletter;
- creation of processes to advance Laudato si’; and
- supporting the Diocese internally to advance social justice principles e.g. sustainability.
To be the successful candidate you need to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of Catholic Social Teaching;
- Experience in social work, social justice, social welfare and/or education;
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills;
- Skills in enabling, empowering others;
- Ability to collaborate and network with like-minded agencies;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Time management skills;
- An independent work ethic with the ability to work constructively in a team environment;
- Ability to develop and monitor program plans and budget; and
- A demonstrated personal commitment to the ethos and values of the Catholic Church and a passion for social justice.
Join our team!
Applications for the position should include:
- A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role and briefly describe your skills, experience and capabilities to undertake this role (maximum 2 pages).
- Curriculum Vitae.
If you would like more information, a copy of the full job description or to have a confidential chat, please email Ms. Deeanne Martin on firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications Close 5pm Monday 22 February 2021.
The successful applicant is expected to respect and uphold the ethos and teachings of the Catholic Church and the values of the Employer. The successful applicant will also be subject to a Working with Children Check.
Only candidates with the right to live and work in Australia should apply for this position.
No agency contact please. This position is being managed internally.