Parish Secretary – Sacred Heart Parish, Blackheath
Position title: Parish Secretary
Reports to: Parish Priest
Hours per week: 6 hours
Location: Sacred Heart Parish, Blackheath
The primary objective of the role of Parish Secretary is to provide administrative services to the Parish. The role requires compassion, discretion, complete confidentiality, a “can do” attitude and a willingness to work autonomously. It requires a person who understands the nature of the front line responsibility for “Sharing God’s Love”. This position does require an understanding and support of the ethos of the Catholic Church.
- Answering all enquiries at door and on the phone;
- Maintenance of various parish databases, and records, including baptismal and wedding records, parish website;
- Baptism bookings, confirmation letter of details, preparing list of names for Baptism preparation, and producing the Baptism Certificate;
- Management of diaries and parish registers;
- Assistance with Planned Giving Program – Catholic Foundation and other Diocesan appeals;
- Preparation and distribution of weekly Bulletin;
- Dealing with Funeral Directors;
- Preparation for the celebrations of Easter and Christmas in conjunction with the Parish Priest;
- Take initial bookings for weddings and assist Parish Priest as required;
- When required, organise the maintenance of parish equipment
- Management and distribution of liturgical ministry roster
- Keep the parish census up to date
- Supporting the parish SRE Coordinator in office matters
- Ordering office and church supplies
- Parish Hall bookings
- Cleaning and maintenance of parish office
- Other duties as required
Skills & Experience
- Must be competent in use of the Microsoft Office suite of programs e.g. Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Able to work well as part of a team
- Must have experience in an office environment
- Able to work autonomously, be accurate, and process work in a timely fashion
Other relevant requirements
- Working with Children Check and Police Check
- Drivers Licence
Join our team!
To apply for the position, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title: ‘PARISH SECRETARY APPLICATION’.
Applications close Friday 15 January 2021.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume and names and contact details of at least two referees, one of whom includes your parish priest.
For more information, please contact the parish office at email@example.com.