Each week throughout 2020, parishioners in the Diocese of Parramatta were invited to watch a video and discuss their response to a number of questions as part of our popular ‘Saturday Sessions’.
Over the holiday break, we’re replaying some of the most popular videos for you to watch, then use the questions to uncover your own feelings and thoughts about the topic. Feel free to share with others too!
“Want to be happy? Be grateful!”: Br David Steindl-Rast
About the Presenter:
The one thing all humans have in common is that each of us wants to be happy, says Brother David Steindl-Rast, a monk and interfaith scholar. And happiness, he suggests, is born from gratitude. An inspiring lesson in slowing down, looking where you’re going, and above all, being grateful.
David Steindl-Rast OSB is an American Catholic Benedictine monk, author, and lecturer. He is committed to interfaith dialogue and has dealt with the interaction between spirituality and science.
Questions to Ponder:
- What is one thing you have been grateful for this week?
- How do you cultivate the gift of gratefulness within yourself and with others?
- What do you do in your life to live in the present moment, to offer gratefulness in your life?
- What do you think of Br David’s claim that happiness springs from gratefulness?
- “Every moment is a new gift. The opportunity in the present moment. The gift in a moment is the opportunity.” How do you respond to this?
- Share anything else that stood out for you? Will it make a difference?
- How do you understand Br David’s suggestion of Stop, Look, Go?
- In our own families, communities, faith communities, how can gratefulness change us – change our communities? Can you share examples?
- How will you create Stop signs in your life?
- Can you share examples of networks of communities doing amazing things? (a network of grateful living)
Get ready for the 2021 series of Saturday Sessions. The schedule is available on our events calendar on www.parracatholic.org.