Regional Coordinator – Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (CCD), Diocese of Parramatta
(Part-Time, 16 hrs per week)
Based at home with regular travel around the Blacktown region
Commencing July 2022
About the Diocese
The Diocese of Parramatta is home to more than 330,000 Catholics and is one of the fastest-growing dioceses in Australia. The Diocese is made up of 46 parishes, 82 Catholic schools, and more than 43,000 students and includes a number of agencies which assist the Bishop in the pastoral care of the community.
The Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (CCD) oversees the work of more than 800 Catechists who teach Special Religious Education (SRE) to approximately 14,000 Catholic students attending public schools. We perform this Gospel ministry of service by working together, using our personal and professional gifts.
About the Role
The position of Regional Coordinator, serving a particular region within the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (CCD) structure, is one of service, support and encouragement, in both a professional and pastoral capacity. They support Parish Coordinators and volunteer Special Religious Education (SRE) teachers (known also as Catechists) in their designated region. The Regional Coordinator is the liaison person between the CCD at a Diocesan level and the local parishes within their region.
The CCD Regional Coordinator will be accountable to the Director of CCD for the following tasks and functions related to work within their region and parishes.
- To liaise with a broad range of groups including clergy, parishes, parish coordinators of CCD, SRE Catechists, government and Catholic schools, families, the NSW Department of Education and other professional bodies in providing Special Religious Education.
- To encourage SRE teachers to participate in training courses.
- To advise parish catechist groups of relevant legislative changes that affect their work (e.g., child protection, privacy) and to ensure that all Diocesan Child Protection, privacy, WHS and other policies are known and implemented.
- To fulfil administrative requirements ensuring the efficient and effective running of the ministry within the diocese, utilising and managing allocated admin support effectively. Tasks would include, but are not limited to, authorisation of Catechists, training and event organisation and preparing reports for the ministry.
- To provide and support faith education programs for the catechists of the region working with the children/ youth in State schools.
- To lead development initiatives that assist parishes in the identification and recruitment of suitable persons as catechists. To speak/lead in recruitment role at Parishes if warranted in liaison with Clergy and the Director of CCD and
- When needed, to liaise with Government school staff to address SRE Implementation Procedures. Assist in the recruitment and provision of training programs to prepare Diocesan Catholic Secondary School students for work in CCD.
To be the successful candidate you need to demonstrate:
- The desire to assist the Bishop of Parramatta in his mandate to teach, sanctify and govern, and thus empower faithful disciples to evangelise within the Diocese of Parramatta.
- Sound knowledge of, and strong personal commitment to, the mission and values of the Catholic Church.
- Strong desire and ability to ensure the Catholic Faith is communicated through Special Religious Education (SRE) and to articulate and promote its benefits for Catholic children and their families within NSW Government schools.
- Ability to affirm, celebrate and encourage volunteers within the ministry of CCD.
- Active in a parish.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and the ability to liaise positively with key stakeholders.
- Ability to deal confidentially with sensitive situations.
- Professional manner and appropriate presentation expected of Office of the Bishop employees.
- High motivation and self-discipline to ensure tasks and functions are fulfilled in a timely manner.
- Sound interpersonal skills that contribute to positive and productive team dynamics.
- Leadership skills with the ability to empower and envision and
- Sound computer literacy skills, including the use of Microsoft Office, Outlook and website management. Experience with databases would be advantageous.
You need to have these Qualifications and Experience:
- Relevant tertiary qualification and/or experience inclusive of Religious Education / Theology / Faith Formation, Education / Training, and ministry experience.
- Experience and proven ability to participate effectively in the Evangelising Mission of the Church via Religious Education and faith formation programs.
- An understanding of and commitment to Catholic faith formation through Sacred Scripture and Catholic Tradition.
- Relevant youth/children’s ministry experience.
- Understanding and knowledge of the school/classroom environment, and the professional expectations of teachers/volunteers and
- A Current Driver’s Licence.
Join our team!
Applications for the position should include:
- A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the position and explain how your skills, experience and capabilities align to the criteria in relation to undertaking this role.
- Curriculum Vitae.
If you would like more information, a copy of the full job description or to have a confidential chat, please email Ms. Deeanne Martin on firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications Close 10pm Sunday 26 June 2022.
The successful applicant is expected to respect and uphold the ethos and teachings of the Catholic Church and the values of the Employer. The successful applicant will also be subject to a Working with Children Check.
Only candidates with the right to live and work in Australia should apply for this position.
No recruitment agency contact please. This position is being managed internally.
In accordance with the Department of Education’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, it is a condition of employment of all SRE teachers to have received two doses of an approved COVID-19 Vaccine. Your vaccination status will be discussed as part of the recruitment and selection process and evidence of your vaccination status must be provided before an offer of employment will be made.