Position Vacant – Youth Minister/Coordinator
Part time – 24 hours per week
About St Bernadette’s
St Bernadette’s Castle Hill is a large, vibrant parish in Castle hill, situated in the Northern Deanery of the Parramatta Diocese. We have a large number of ministries and groups within the parish, with 5 weekend masses, including the Youth Mass, and various other masses and programs throughout the week.
Castle Hill Parish overseas St Bernadette’s Primary, St Gabriel’s school for special needs, and Gilroy Catholic College, but also works with Oakhill College, and has catechists working in 5 public schools.
The Youth program has been running at St Bernadette’s since 1999, and currently includes our intoLife program for grades 5-8, our LifeNight program for grades 9-12 and our young adults program for 18-35 yrs.
About the Position
We are seeking a Youth Minister/Coordinator to support and coordinate the youth and young adults ministries and events within the parish. Building and maintaining connections with the local schools, parents, and the wider community. You will also be working with Catholic Youth Parramatta (CYP), the Parramatta Diocese Mission Enhancement Team (MET), and the Northern Deanery Youth to promote a comprehensive approach to youth ministry in the Parramatta Diocese.
- Oversee the leadership teams of both junior and senior youth group;
- Coordinate the young adults ministry;
- Look after and coordinate the ministries for the Youth Mass-lectors, extraordinary ministers, offertory, Acolytes;
- Ensure Safeguarding practices are being met within the youth ministry;
- Ensure Safeguarding training and WWCC are maintained and recorded for all youth ministry volunteers;
- Implement and oversee WHS practices within youth ministry activities;
- Provide formal catechesis to the youth and young adults;
- Promote and maintain relationships with local Catholic and Public schools;
- Work with CYP, MET and Northern Deanery Youth in relation to various Diocese initiatives including World Youth Day 2023;
- Maintain youth ministry databases; and
- Assist in any other ministries or tasks within the parish, as required.
To be the successful candidate you need to demonstrate;
- A commitment to the ethos and values of the Catholic Church;
- Sound knowledge of the teachings of the Catholic Church;
- Passion for life in faith, especially in the area of youth ministry;
- Awareness of issues affecting young people in contemporary society;
- Creativity in planning and sharing your ideas with others;
- Understanding the need of usage of technology and innovative ways of sharing faith;
- Project management and strategic planning skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- A professional manner and presentation;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work well with others;
- A willingness to deepen their own formation;
- An ability to operate with absolute discretion and to maintain confidentiality;
- An ability to take initiative and work with limited supervision;
- Attention to detail and a well-ordered approach to work;
- Good time management and demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks;
- A commitment to service and a willingness to be accountable for their performance; and
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
You need to have:
- Completed or currently enrolled in a tertiary qualification in a related field (at least at undergraduate level) or willingness to obtain;
- Relevant experience in a comparable role (for example in education, ministry, planning or community development);
- Demonstrated experience in supporting and mentoring leaders in a church context;
- Sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of applications;
- A valid Working with Children Check clearance; and
- Driver’s licence.
Applications for the position should include:
- A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the position and describe how your skills, experience and capabilities align to the criteria in relation to undertaking this role; and
- A Curriculum Vitae; and
- Names and contact details of at least two referees, one of whom includes your parish priest.
If you would like more information, a copy of the full job description or to have a confidential chat, please email Ms Deeanne Martin on email@example.com.
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed and shortlisted (if suitable) as they are received.
The successful applicant is expected to respect and uphold the ethos and teachings of the Catholic Church and the values of the Employer. The successful applicant will also be subject to a Working with Children Check.
Only candidates with the right to live and work in Australia should apply for this position.
No agency contact please. This position is being managed internally.